Thursday, May 7, 2009

2009 Draft Wrap Up - Last One - I Swear!

So, I was going to do a 'New Dolphin' article for Sean Smith, but then as I was researching for it, I realized I was searching through my own blog for Sean Smith goodies. This seemed both surreal and really ridiculous to me, but then it all clicked in my head that Smith was the one and only guy I had on the Dolphins board that they actually drafted. This makes me feel great that I targeted him but lousy that all the other targets ended up going elsewhere. So next year I think I will wait until AFTER the draft to do a board and articles on prospects (lol, jk).

In any event, for my own sanity, I thought I'd rewind a little bit and look at exactly where my prospects ended up.

Sean Smith, CB - Actually ended up in Miami, and playing CB. I was 100% right on this one, except I thought he would be picked higher up.

Connor Barwin, DE - Yep, my number one guy ended up being on the board when we picked Pat White, which still really effing pisses me off, then was drafted by Houston. The Texans are going to keep him as a DE and make him Mario Williams' backup. He will be a 3rd down pass-rusher. We'll see him Dec. 27th along with Brian Cushing.

William Moore, S - Drafted by Atlanta with the #55 pick, we'll never know if Miami would've pulled the trigger. He is projected to be the Falcons' starting strong safety. That means we'll be seeing a lot of him on September 13th along with Peria Jerry and Lawrence Sidbury, Jr.

Sherrod Martin, CB - Drafted by the Carolina Panthers at #59, ultimately a poor man's Sean Smith. Why go for the cheap stuff when the good stuff is on sale for the same price? We'll see him Nov. 19th, probably in the nickel package.

Darius Butler, CB - I thought he would be the top CB on Miami's board, but I didn't think Vontae would be available. However, I'm not happy to be facing him twice a year as the Pats took him at #41.

Evander 'Ziggy' Hood, DE - While I like Vontae Davis, a part of me still feels Miami should've taken Hood at #25. Well, we didn't, and that 'other' 3-4 team, the Steelers, took him at #32 and will use him as a reserve end. We'll see him on January 3rd along with another Miami CB prospect, Keenan Lewis.

Kenny Britt, WR - As if it isn't bad enough that our corners have to face the Big East elite, they'll have to control this future beast on Dec. 20th.

Terrance Knighton, DT - My top nose tackle target heading into the draft, is headed to Jacksonville to play as a 4-3 DT. Dec. 13th.

So, as you can see, while I'm ready to put these prospects to bed, we play against all of them this year, which will undoubtedly stir up unwanted feelings of 'why didn't WE draft him?' But in any event, this is the last time I will be writing an article on any of these players. (except for Sean Smith, lol)

For the record, I will be going attending a live viewing of the Steelers game at the home of a major Pittsburgh fan. He told me he would 'fire up the grill'. I haven't told him it's in January and will be freezing cold outside.

So, are there any guys from the draft class that you are looking forward to seeing regardless of team?

No comments:

Post a Comment