Monday, January 26, 2009

Senior Hangover

This is the day I wake up, and feel exhausted, dizzy, weak, sore and dying of thirst. Also, full of regret for the week-long football binge. I want no more. I've had enough. My body can't handle it. My mind can't handle it. I wasn't the only one who got drunk and I'm not the only one hurting right now because of this excess. I bet even Mayock and McShay are turning over in their own stink wondering where the last week of their lives went. And how could they possibly survive a continuation of this lifestyle?

For me, it started with the end of the Dolphin's 2008 season. The playoff loss made me feel like I needed something to dull the pain. I partook in the College Bowls, but I needed something stronger. So I discovered a gateway in the form of the East West Shrine Game. Oh it was good. But I wanted more. You'd be surprised how easily available this stuff is. Less than two days after the Shrine game, the Senior Bowl practices began. And it was on. I drank it all in. Six days of unrivaled abandon culminating in the Saturday night game. I soaked it all up. And then the week was over. And I don't feel too good.

So this is the part where I say, 'Never Again'. I will never do this to myself again. I don't need a program or anything, I can just say it and mean it. I will not do this again.

Until the next time that is.

The NFL Combine is February 20th thru the 26th. There's a good chance I might end up completely shitfaced then. I suspect I won't be the only one. And I suspect the day after it all ends, I will communicate my disdain for football and give my strongest vow of 'never again!'

At least until April.

12 comments:

  1. Tinshaker:
    Don't feel so bad. From what I can tell, everyone who reads this is either a co-dependent or an enabler. We are all in denial. If anyone needed any proof of that, look at what happened when the SS blog went haywire. The regulars were like junkies needing a fix, and until it is fully functional(which I don't think it is)you have become the new dealer on the block. Better watch out though, those bad asses Omar and Harvey will be after you for cutting in on their turf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did you actually go to the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile Tin? I'm surprised they allowed regulars off the street to attend those. How was it, and what were your lasting impressions?

    I'm actually very jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your previous post (again)...nevermind, I'm an idiot. I guess you're just tivoing the practices during the day...wasn't aware that were being aired and had assumed that you went down there all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there in spirit only. The NFL Network showed about 5 hours a day of live footage from the practices. Oddly enough they only had one practice field and it was the same field where they played the game, so in a way, it must have felt a bit like being back in High School rather than going to the pros.

    Anyway, I watched the tivo'd practices (because I work during the day and because without the commercials it came down to a more reasonable 2.5 hours a day) and also subscribe to nfldraftscout where they have player journals, scouts impressions, and updates for every single player. I have actually disagreed with a lot I've seen on there, but the best part is that you can tell that they have multiple eyes watching every last detail. I enjoy reading Omar's updates but sometimes I feel he's only half watching, or distracted by something or just plain tunnel vision. For example, he seems to be the only person on the planet that wasn't blown away (or even slightly impressed) by BJ Raji last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tin,

    is the SS blog still f'ed up? i just tried posting but got the same old problems as before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have to keep clicking on the 'next' at the bottom of the comments. When you first open a blog, sometimes you have to click next over and over again for a couple of minutes if there are a lot of comments. oh, and after you post a comment, you have to refresh or click on 'post another comment' in order for it to refresh ALL of the comments, not just the one you just made. It's a total PITA!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that blog sucks, i have to close out and reload it just to get it to show my post. i am about totally done with the SS

    ReplyDelete
  8. well ffr, I had bikini-clad cheerleaders and such up for you but then I realized it was NSFW and was actually hurting me from getting readers rather than attracting them!

    Also, there will be a new poll up tonight. I will try to always have a couple up at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ironic isn't it? I have the least interest seeing the near naked women that were on here last week. I would be in more trouble for the fact that I had a football blog showing on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tin,

    The exact message I get when I preview a post is:

    Your request could not be processed. Please try again.

    It obviously doesn't prevent anyone from posting if they ignore it as I do. Just thought it might be helpful if you are trying to figure out why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is pretty ironic. Obviously we need to switch jobs.

    I never click on preview, I click post comment. Why do you need to preview it? You can already see it in front of you, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I just 'previewed' that last one and it worked fine for me. Perhaps you need to update your java or something.

    ReplyDelete