Wednesday, January 28, 2009

TEXAS vs. THE NATION

Don't quote me on this but this is "the last all-star game" before the combines, and it's sort of similar to the East West game in that it includes a lot of players from smaller schools as well as some 'good' players from the big programs. Rich Ohrnberger is there. We went to some school called Penn State. And the QB with the best name in sports, Drew Willy hails from Buffalo.

The other similarities between the two aforementioned games is that Gene Stallings coached in the East West game and takes the reigns again two weeks later in this game. Why doesn't the guy just come back to coaching if he wants to do it so much? Or is it that he wants to coach TWO teams each year?

Anyway, here are some players to watch (some with Chad Reuters notes from the practices):

Ohrnberger - I think he was on my watch list LAST year. "
left guard Rich Ohrnberger played as though [he was] from the major program. Ohrnberger's mauling style inside was as expected."

Willy - at 6'3", 217lbs, that's a big willy!

Terrance Knighton, DT - this guy showed up to practice 30 lbs heavier than he was listed at. He is now 6'4" 324lbs! The guy's size and playing style SCREAM nose tackle.

Dominique Edison, WR - 6'2", 200lbs. I actually saw this guy play and was impressed with his hands and motor.

Dudley Guice, WR - at 6'3", 213lbs he sure sounds like someone worth a look. "
Northwestern State's Dudley Guice took Edison's place as the premier wideout on the field. Guice snatched several balls outside the frame of his body and high-pointed a few in red zone drills. In another drill, he faked the fade and used his hands to get inside position for a quick slant near the goal line. The 6'3", 213-pound Guice is not a track star but his feet were quick in and out of routes."

Michael Reed, LB - "It's not often you see a 293-pound linebacker. That's right, 293 pounds. Central Oklahoma's Michael Reed (through Yuba Community College and the University of Oklahoma), however, still manages to attack the ball in the flat and even gets into the deep third."

Cornelius Lewis, OT - "The top lineman on either side of the ball was Tennessee State left tackle Cornelius Lewis, a Florida State transfer who will probably move inside at the next level. He used his arm length and athleticism to hold up his man at the point of attack or direct him around the pocket in drills and scrimmages."

14 comments:

  1. You really opened the flood gates with the big willy talk, Tin. Wait til herdfan gets here, she's gonna want to see pics. Best name in sports though: Nascar's Dick Trickle, although I laugh everytime I hear Pujols

    ReplyDelete
  2. true but dick trickle is a noun and drew willy is a verb. Just imagine when he has to take an oath:

    "I, Drew Willy"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but I think Dudley Guice is a much better name then Drew Willy...but I'm kinda a rebel like that.

    What's with this NT kid? Is he "guicing"? Or was he "listed" at the beginning of the season and actually developed all year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tin, you have anymore information on this Michael Reed kid? He's interesting with that weight, I'd like to find out more about the big boy runs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excuse me about how the big boy runs, not his runs. I'm sure those runs are not something I want to see at his size, but I was referring to his speed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's strange because the only photo I found of Knighton in uniform showed him to look very lean even for his listed weight of 290ish.

    as for Michael Reed:
    "The junior-college transfer arrived in Norman with much fanfare out of Marysville Yuba (Calif.) College as the top prospect from the 2007 recruiting class. But Reed never made a difference on the field and was beaten out at middle linebacker by Curtis Lofton, who would go on to earn Big 12 player of the year honors. Off the field, Reed struggled financially to support his wife and kids, while playing football and attending classes all at the same time. When his wife was hospitalized last October, Reed began missing practice and workouts to care for her and their two children. "

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pr1ce, he has 4.5 listed as his forty time on rivals.com but they also have his weight listed at 245. draftscout doesn't have any 40 time listed for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best I could do was this site which has four recruiting videos of Mike Reed. They are two years old, when he was a JUCO transfer to Oklahoma. He was considered the #1 JUCO prospect of 2007.

    http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=50760&Sport=1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lowering the tone even further, I have seen a guy by the name of Richard Cockhead. You would have thought his parents might have stuck at his surname but they went for it all. Was it sadism or stupidity? You judge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tinshaker:

    I'm not one to complain, but the current color scheme for this post is almost impossible to read. It's not like the others. Maybe if I got some 3D glasses, or a special decoder ring?

    Psst--Omar is back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry herdfan, for some reason this post stayed grey (which was the original text color on the black background). Give me 2 minutes and it'll be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tinshaker:

    I think you, more than anyone, are going to be able to empathize with Omar in a short time. What a bunch of whiners we are! lol

    Don't worry on my account. Like I have something to say. I'm just here for the beer!!
    Where is it anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. herdfan, I think Omar and myself are diametrically opposed. For one, this is my hobby, not my job, so I take a little more pride in it. Don't give a crap about my job, as it obviously is not challenging enough to keep me from blogging in between job tasks.

    Beer? It's only 8:30am over here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL--I like that Sheryl Crow song, I like a good beer buzz early in the morning!!

    I just meant putting up with the whiners like I guess I've become, "I don't like this color, this is too hard to read". No one is holding a gun to our heads, right?

    BTW, I think the ffr on one of your newer posts is not our usual friend. I'm pretty observant about details, and today's poster, while trying hard, is not the same. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I don't know if you have any way of distinguishing, or even if you care. I'm not tech savvy, just an observer of human nature and tendencies.

    ReplyDelete