Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday's Update ( I know, very clever title)

Pro days continue today with the most notable being Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon State and South Florida.

Ohio State has James Laurinitis, Brian Robiskie, Donald Washington, Nader Abdallah, Marcus Freeman, Alex Boone, and even Malcolm Jenkins all of whom could be getting looks from the Dolphins. Surely they'll have someone in attendance!

Michigan is not as packed but maybe Terrance Taylor and Morgan Trent could garner some interest.

Oregon State has Keenan Lewis, previously noted as a potential future Dolphin. They also have Andy Levitre! Remember him? A couple of months ago he was heralded by Miami fans and media as a MUST HAVE. Amazing how quickly the buzz wears off.

Oh, and then there's my beloved USF Bulls. At the Combine, Sun Sentinel reporter, Omar Kelly, asked LB Tyrone McKenzie what he thought of perhaps being the highest picked Bull ever. While it was nice to get some video of Tyrone on the SS page, Omar didn't do his homework, as just last year (2008) USF's Mike Jenkins was chosen 25th overall. Kawika Mitchell went 47th overall in 2003. The next highest were Kenyatta Jones (96th), Anthony Henry (97th) and Bill Gramatica (98th - seriously? who drafts a kicker that high) which is probably where McKenzie projects at right now.

Pro Day could change all that of course, but I don't see Mckenzie being able to leapfrog Jenkins' status. Other USF notables working out today: Cedric Hill (FB/TE), Danny Verpaele (S), Carlton Williams (S), Taurus Johnson (WR), the entire offensive line for the past 3 years, and the absolutely incredible Benjamin Williams. Williams is 5'7", 200lbs, and can squat 660 lbs and bench 430. I can do that too (not!).

I will update this post throughout the day with available results and Dolphin spottings so check back for more info.

Updates:

8:36 AM - Miami did not attend Troy's second pro day yesterday. This generally means they saw what they needed to see the first time around. As far as I know, they did invite Sherrod Martin for a private workout at the first one.

11:46 AM -
Well it happened. I finally made an oopsie. I gotta tell you, getting info about the pro days as just a simple fan is possibly harder than finding out what the President reads in the bathroom. And so it was that yesterday I reported/mentioned that Nebraska's pro day had much Dolphins activity and that they were watching fullbacks. It turns out that where I read "Nebraska FB [insert name of virtually unknown football player here]" I automatically assumed, as most people would, that the 'FB' was referring to the position of the player mentioned. It turns out the 'FB' stood simply for FOOTBALL. So it had nothing to do with the player mentioned other than the fact that he played football for Nebraska. Seriously people, whoever did the captioning for them should be fired. To make matters worse, I discovered that I could blow up the image of the photo several times and discovered it wasn't James Saxon in the photos. It actually looked to be Kacy Rodgers, the defensive line coach (the same guy who worked one-on-one with Michael Johnson the other day). I don't know who he was there to see since Nebraska's beast DT, Suh, decided to stay in school. Sometimes underclassmen work out a year before they come out just to get on the radar for the folowing year. Who knows at this point.

1:30 PM - I have to be honest, when I was looking for an update on Jason Williams' personal workout, the last thing I thought I'd do was paste a link to a Dolphins blog, but I got a good eye-roll going from reading this eloquent write-up and thought I'd share.

3:30 PM - Remember that talk we had about the NT Tree? Well, at USF's pro day today, former NOSE TACKLE Richard Clebert showed up. He was shown in photos working out, but was not listed in the actual results or in the program. Why do I make a deal of this? Because for one, he graduated LAST year, was not on the team in 2008, and I also always wondered whatever happened to him. For those of you who don't know who the hell I'm talking about, Clebert is 6'1", 320lbs, played in a hybrid 4-3/3-4 formation (which they ended up dropping because he graduated and they didn't have a nose to take over) and is most famous for this video:

Though I counted 41 reps on the video, his official best is 43, and according to the video he has done 50 (though it cannot be confirmed). 43 is the combine record, BTW. Clebert's 43 was not at the combine but at a testing day at USF.

Oh, the guy can play football too even if he has the body of a pumpkin. Number 76.:



No comments:

Post a Comment