Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Run and Hyde

Ok, I've been accused of being not so nice when referring to the media, and I've toned it down a bit in an effort to eliminate the guess work over whether or not I'm kidding or just being vile.

But now I have to say something. And I'll start with the disclaimer that I'm not kidding here. The shit-reporting needs to stop. Why is it that I cannot find out what the Dolphins are doing in the off-season, but have to read ridiculous articles about trading all 3 of our QBs for Jay Cutler? That's Hyde's spin - here is Cote's.

At what point will the columnists of the Miami area sports reporters step up their game and produce some facts, interesting character profiles, and most importantly, rational thinking?

I feel I owe an apology to beat reporters like Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel and Armando Salguero of the Herald.

Though I openly pray for the day the Herald gets shut down, especially after posting that cellphone video of the aftermath of the Stallworth incident, and Salguero's blog is typically full of confrontation and controversy, he does actually occasionally post sourced material about things that matter to the team.

And though there isn't a single reporter out there that I disagree with more than Kelly, and I think some of that is simply knee-jerk reaction to his grammar (that part is tongue-in-cheek), he does actually spend MOST of his blog talking about relevant issues.

And though the Palm Beach Post's crew of relative unknowns has completely dropped the ball on the no-nonsense state the facts style I had grown accustomed to from them, they still repeatedly beat the competition to the punch as far as breaking news goes. Maybe they have 3G smart phones as opposed to the competition's EDGE network!

So even if I don't agree with their ideas, or the way they present those ideas, I appreciate the fact that they would offer those ideas and the forum for fans to discuss those topics.

However, the tenured 'columnists' especially from the Herald (Greg Cote) and the Sentinel (David Hyde) have always irked me. Cote has been at the Herald for at least 90 years, and he used to be a sort of Dave Barry-esque humour writer that just presented the facts in a funny way. Now he's old, bitter, and useless. Hyde, on the other hand, can only get readers to his blog when he lets an outsider write it for him. Otherwise, he too, is useless.

And the latest 'let's trade for Cutler' campaign waged by both papers secures that stance. And I'm tired of it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

PS. Hyde - Chad Henne was drafted in the SECOND round, not the third. F*%$head.

No comments:

Post a Comment