Thursday, March 5, 2009

Here We Go!!

This post is dedicated to actual confirmed Miami draft targets. Some of them you know, some of them you don't, but all of them maybe getting a lot of attention in the next several weeks.

First up, Connor Barwin. This guy has the motor of Matt Roth but sleeker, faster, taller, leaner and with the ability to break the heart of your average USF fan by not only sacking your QB but then scoring an offensive touchdown as well. He was the star of the NFL Combine a couple of weeks ago, and Miami, along with pretty much every other team, is interested
.


Oh, man, you guys are going to hate me for this one but I have to do this: WILLIAM FREAKIN' MOORE, BIATCHES!!

That's right. It's been confirmed that Mr. Moore himself is a Dolphins prospect. You know what this guy did yesterday in front of a certain Miami coach? He ran a 4.39, had a 37 inch vertical, did the 3 cone drill in 6.92 seconds, and had an amazing 10'6" broad jump. If these numbers stand up, He would have to be at least a high 2nd round grade. According to several sources, "one player who performed really well was Safety William Moore. He looked really good in his positional drills and was impressive overall."

I hate to say I told you so, but I will as soon as he is being a stand-out player in the NFL. ;)


p.s. this is an actual photo of Moore running super fast ON GRASS today. That's right, he put up those times on grass, people.

Jason Williams is a name most people associate with basketball (I remember being confused because there were two of them at one point, both basketball players, both in the league at the same time). But there's another Jason Williams, and he plays football. Where you ask? Western Illinois University. Say what?

You ever notice during opening drives of NFL games they'll have the players introduce themselves by saying their names and colleges, and half the time
you think to yourself, "I've never even heard of that school!"

Well that's because it's a myth that only the big schools are pro factories. While it's true that schools like Miami and FSU and USC have had their runs, most NFL players come from all over the place. I don't know what town Western Illinois is in, but I do know that it is cold there during football season and that during their Senior game, there were about 40 die-hard fans in attendance. I know this because I was actually able to find recorded games! Here's what I can tell you about Jason Williams. He's a linebacker, listed as WLB, but he was used in a very special way. Instead of lining up on the outside when rushing the QB, he would line up on the inside and rush the Guard. In fact, he would line up inside on most plays, in a standing position on the line of scrimmage (think middle blitzer minus the DT in front of him, they play a 3-4). It was very unusual, but it allowed him to use his speed to get by the Guard and to the QB. It also allowed him to drop back in coverage from an underneath position. His numbers, 6'1", 241lbs, and he forced 14 fumbles. Very good in coverage, very good on the line. He will undoubtedly be an ILB in a 3-4. And the Dolphins are watching him.

On a side note, Western illinois had the top rusher in the country last year, Herb Donaldson. They needed him - their QB was awful in the game I watched.


Another linebacker on Miami's radar is Daniel Holtzclaw. I'm still trying to find tape o
n this kid but here's what I do know about him: He played for Eastern Michigan (they actually have one of the top Guards in the draft in TJ Lang), was a four year starter, 6'1", 246lbs, finished with 437 career tackles, 8 INTs, 4 FF, and had 12 games with at least 12 tackles.

In the photo to the right, Chad Henne winds up for a pass whilst #44, Holtzclaw reads him every step of the way.




Sherrod Martin is a Troy cornerback, 6'1", 198lbs, and he ran a respectable 4.48 at the Combine and despite converting from Safety to CB, he is praised for his low backpedal and movement.




So what do you guys think? The starting up of the pro days are bittersweet because on the one hand they are not televised or even covered in detail by the press, but the one good thing that we can take from it is we find out who attended (example: if a position coach is there, they're very interested in that player) and sometimes info slips out about private workouts or dinners. So these guys are being followed by the Dolphins. Most of them are likely to be 5th to 7th round, with the exception of Moore and Barwin.

19 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Tin.
    s
    I don't think anyone has anything against William Moore, he's just not a 1st rounder. He could be Bell's eventual replacement. What round would you take him in?
    s
    Conner Barwin isn't a polished LB so he'll probably have to play special teams and learn the position for a couple of years before becoming a starter.
    s
    Holtzclaw reminds me of a bigger and faster version of Zach Thomas.
    s
    Sherrod Martin is an interesting prospect. I also like Keenan Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Holtzclaw reminds me of a bigger and faster version of Zach Thomas"
    s
    That's funny, I was going to write that in the paragraph but I didn't want to have to explain it with lack of video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holtzclaw just makes plays. He had over a 100 tackles all 4 seasons at Eastern Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just like Tyrone McKenzie and Scott McKillop as far as production goes.s Those guys are slightly bigger though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kent is having issues again so I'll cut and paste:
    s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kent, you must have some weird network issues because you're ability to comment seems completely random! He can play both positions. He played FS in 2007 and SS in 2008. Since most recently he was a SS he is rated as one now. But last year he was rated as the #1 FS, and this year he is rated as the #2 SS. Basically he would be a perfect back-up because he can play both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having Moore would give us some depth at saftey, which right now is lacking. Other than starters all we have is waiver wire quality. I'd take him in the 3rd in a heart beat, I don't know if I'd use a 2nd on him unless we didn't pick up Wilson
    s
    Barwin, I like because of his natural athletic ability, but like Bungle, I agree he would need to develop. Plus because of his combine numbers i think some team is going to reach way to high for this guy. With all the other high round LB prospects, I would pass on Barwin
    s
    A later round guy like Williams/ would be perfect. Someone who could play Torbor's role and develop to replace Crowder or Ayodele. We could also use him for when we want to blitz up the middle or fake blitz and drop into the zone
    s
    Thanks for the reports, I have a hard time keeping up with all the prospects and it's good to read up on some of them

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Phinatic.s As most people know, this is my favorite aspect of the offseason, learning about these guys, because in order to do it I get to WATCH FOOTBALL!
    s
    That's why I tend to glaze over during free agency news reports.s I'm much more interested in watching football than in reading about the ins and outs of player contracts.s
    s
    I gotta be honest though, some of these small schools when they're playing in front of next to no fans, makes it feel like you're watching practice or a scrimmage sometimes.s Atmosphere is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC
    s
    It is spring!!s Finally!s Even being cooped up here for the day, I am still happy!s Had my car cleaned, inside and out and just picked it up.s Ahhhh!s Drove with my windows down!!!s
    s
    There is absolutely nothing going on around here.s Did everyone take the day off?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out the new blog post, herdfan.
    s
    Oh, and you should know a couple of the above players since they probably beat the hell out of Marshall!s LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone beat the hell out of us lately.s You have to do more than that to stand out in a crowd these days.s BTW, you asked earlier if any of the herd players were at the combine, and there were 2.s At least they were supposed to be there.s The same ones at the shrine game, Darius Passmore(WR).s You gotta love that name for a football player, and a receiver at that!!s and CJ Spillman(FS).s

    ReplyDelete
  12. They suspend players for getting busted with pot up there at marshall.s In florida you have to stab someone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We take players that have been busted for pot before and suspended/let go from other schools.s That's why Moss played here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Then why'd they bust the LB today?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im going to have to check this out as I have no idea what you are talking about.s Excuse the lack of grammar and punctuation and spelling, I have a few of my avatar's in me!!!!!s Not to mention, that in our rather large group, they neglected to bring me my dinner, although we ordered it twice! BTW, I missed lunch, saving up for it. Lent and all.s Oh Well.s Hopefully still moderately coherent.s Or maybe, its called denial.ss If I find what you are talking about on local news, I'll be sure to defend my herd players.s

    ReplyDelete
  16. That didnt take long.s OK, he's got something in common with Ricky.s I can't say I get too upset about it.s It's not like he's growing some man boobs we have to take care of!s
    s
    I remember Dennis Miller saying a few years ago, referring to presidential hopefuls, it wasn't so bad, and I have to agree.s It's the same as alcohol, as far as Im concerned.s And until the rest of the world agrees with me, I agree to disagree.s Bad decision on his part, but who hasn't made mistakes when they are young.s If every bad decision I've ever made came back to haunt me, well then.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. And to add Devine approval to my above post, I submit the following:
    s
    http://www.dailymail.com/News/200809290276

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2 1/2 ounces!s Where I come from they call that a drug dealer.s Don't get me wrong, I believe police should be going after gangs and murderers, and anyone who cuts me off, but a pot-dealing priest...it's like priests are basically becoming the lowest form of human.s They're either evading taxes, molesting kids, or dealing drugs.s And then they get up in front of their "flock" and preach.s What scum!
    s
    Ok, now that I've been curt to Brandon London AND the entire priesthood, I'm done for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops.s Put that in a failed attempt at humor, not really meant to be in support of my views.s Note to self: do not post anything on internet after drinking your dinner and skipping lunch!!s
    :-E Well, maybe on facebook.
    s
    I have to agree with you on the priest thing. My thoughts on ganja are just what I have said they are, but even I thought that was deplorable.s Feel free to delete these posts if you like. I didn't intend to start a religious debate.

    ReplyDelete