Monday, March 2, 2009

When I played a little High School football, I was surrounded by three different types of people. The first were guys who had football in their blood. Their dads probably played and pushed them into it hoping they'd make it to the next level. Then there were the guys who were from dysfunctional homes/families who were kind of lost in the world and were trying to belong to something. It was usually the only thing preventing them from falling by the wayside and getting into trouble. Then there was the third kind. These guys were just plain old thugs. They had physical attributes that got them onto the team, and occasionally into the spotlight, but they practically enjoyed anytime there was a fight, and they REALLY enjoyed challenging the coaches.

I don't know which of these, if any, that Vonnie Holliday was when he was that age. I know I didn't fit into any of those generalizations, so maybe he didn't either.

But I do know that as a Miami Dolphin he showed something we rarely see these days from a professional athlete: CLASS.

And if he really does spend 2009 with another club, they will be lucky to have him. They get a guy who's devoted his time, name and money to several charities, children's hospitals, and community programs. And they get a pretty good football player as well.

We're going to miss you Vonnie. Here's hoping you had enough time to make an impact on your young replacements.

9 comments:

  1. So now what?s You know I was a Packers fan and followed Vonnie to Miami!s What have I done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Tin. I don't have to say anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now we wait for the dust to settle and move on.s The Dolphins are going to sign Grove as the new centers by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now i feel I should've been paying attention to the local sports media.s denver is raiding dolphins and we're raiding the um..raiders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And if I wasn't feeling sad enough over Holliday, Harvey is getting me all concerned about Chad P.s I'm looking all scowl-ly.s :(
    s
    I'm going to need some botox to get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are you concerned about?s That Henne has some plot going to take out pennington ala nancy kerrigan?
    s
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a 4th kind....the best of all....the ones who's parent's didn't want them to play because they feared it was unsafe, but their passion for football led them to convince otherwise or outright defy their parents. Their will was what seperated them from other players, not their pedigree. If an NFL team can find a player like this who has the prerequisite minimum measurables, they could get a future HOFer.
    s
    Guess where I was in August between 8th and 9th grade when my parents thought I was camping for a week? Hell week. :)
    s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well then there's the 5th kind, who's parents just wanted you out of the house and didn't really pay much attention to what you were doing.s This is why I started late, I needed a friend with a driver's licence!
    s
    I actually wanted to try out in middle school, but (and I swear this is true) I couldn't find the phys. ed department.s I only went to that school for a year but I didn't have P.E. and we never went outside during lunch or anything.s I basically had no clue what the back of the school looked like.s I only knew there were sports teams because other students would show up to class with jerseys on.

    ReplyDelete