Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sean Smith can count, why can't the South Florida press? UPDATED

Despite my IT issues, I managed to break the story that Sean Smith had been signed this morning, though I couldn't tell anyone I broke it since I couldn't access any of my usual channels of info. I included the breakdown of the contract, and sent this information to the press. They didn't believe me, especially my math, and have now all reported misinformation.

David Canter, the agent for Sean Smith, mentioned via twitter (about 4 hours after me) that his client had been signed, and that the contract included a 12.5% increase in signing bonus as well as a 6.5% increase in guaranteed money from the previous # 61 pick, Martellus Bennett.

For the record, Bennett signed a 4 year deal worth $2.57 Million, with an $865k signing bonus.

A 12.5% increase of $865k is $973k as I reported this morning. So where the PBP gets $1.36M and the Sun-Sentinel gets the notion to round it off to $1.4M is beyond me. I can't check the Herald due to my IT issues. What do they have it valued at'?

And then there's Adam Caplan of the NFL Network:
"Smith will get a 12.5 percent increase over the same slot in the 2008 draft. That player, CB Patrick Lee selected by the Green Bay Packers, received a signing bonus of $840,000. Smith's is roughly $945,000 and he'll make the minimum base salaries of $1.75 million over the life of the deal."

Couldn't even get the player right.


UPDATE - The Miami Herald finally reported the signing, a day late, and by the infamous Barry Jackson again. He reports that it's a 4 year, $3.1 million contract with a $945k signing bonus. He actually quoted Smith's agent, but so did everyone else, despite the agent making the announcement via Twitter. My only issue with that is that I also follow Smith's agent on Twitter, and he never mentioned any dollar amounts in his announcement, just the percentage increases I mentioned above.

3 comments:

  1. The Knight who says Ni!July 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM

    The Herald doesn't have anything on the Sean Smith signing. They're too busy with Big Ben, Erin Andrews, Mark Sanchez and the AFC East WRs.  :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Knight who says Ni!July 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM

    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/07/23/dolphins-sign-second-rounder-sean-smith-to-4-year-deal/

    My sources tell me that Sean Smith signed a 4 year deal of vouchers at Hardy's restaurants.  :-E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph In MichiganJuly 24, 2009 at 7:37 AM

    Either way I am happy that he is signed. We are getting closer to having everyone ready for camp. I believe that everyone will be signed prior to camp. None of these rookies want to get on the wrong side of these coaches.

    ReplyDelete