Friday, February 6, 2009

Prospect of The Day! - Hakeem Nicks, WR - Updated 2/9

Every time I say his name it sounds like a sternutation but this catch is nothing to sneeze at:



Height: 6'1"
Weight: 210lbs
40 yd time: 4.57

Compared to: Ocho Cinco
His hero: Steve Smith

Stats: 36 games: 181 catches, 2840 yards (15.7 avg), 21TD.

Opinion: Reminds me a bit of Camarillo but with added bulk/strength. I suppose I would take an improved Camarillo anyday, but not necessarily in the first round or two. For this reason I would pass on Nicks. I think he's a very good player, and he has some fabulous numbers, but he doesn't seem to have any quickness off the line which is a big priority.

Rob Rang had previously listed Brandon Pettigrew as Miami's first round pick but less than a week later, has changed his mind, and his pick to Nicks:

"Bill Parcells is generally loathe to take receivers in the first round, but considering the team's need for size at the position, he may be forced into action. Nicks may lack the national recognition of some of his peers, but scouts are quietly comparing the UNC star to Larry Fitzgerald due to their amazing body control."


5 comments:

  1. Where is Nicks expected to go in the draft? I don't see us drafting more young WRs who need development. We should sign a proven veteran or a guy who's been developed and is on the verge of breaking out. We need another WR to add to the competition right away and to protect us against Camarillo not being ready or 100%. A rookie WR who needs time to develop won't help us. We already have Ginn, Bess and London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last I checked he was low 1st to mid 2nd putting him in our range. I gotta be honest, if the local media's wet dream comes to fruition and we trade for Boldin (I don't see it happening because we'd have to mortgage at least 2 drafts) then I'd say we don't have to draft a WR at all. But since we won't do that, I'd like to take a good look at Nicks and Britt (who I like better) at the combines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a lot of good things about Britt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know the phrase, 'Keep your enemies close...'?

    Well Britt pretty much one handedly killed USF last season, catching 8 passes for 173 yards and a touchdown. No other opposing player pissed me off as much as him last year. He was just significantly better than our defense. We lost that game 49-16. I hate him hate him hate him. That's why we should draft him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NC QB Sexton's arm is not bad!

    ReplyDelete