Thursday, February 26, 2009

This Poll's For You

As many of you are probably aware, I had a very frustrating NFL Combine experience in that, despite the extended coverage by NFLN, I was unable to watch significant portions of it, including the first group of wide-receivers (the one with all the recognizable names) and the entire defensive back group. This was because my satellite receiver has gone ka-ploey! DirecTV assures me they will have a new one out to me within a month and that I can have the pleasure of paying for the time I'm NOT receiving any signal to my TV. All hope is not lost as I can still use my PS3 to re-imagine what the combine might've looked like.

But anyway, this post is to finalize all the polls we had during that time, including the latest one which I have to pull early due to unforeseen results. So here we go:

  • Most bench reps at the Combine: the winner in our poll was Brian Cushing with 60% of the vote. He DID have the most for a linebacker at 30, but the top lifter was Texas tech Guard, Louis Vasquez with 39.
  • Fastest 40-yd dash time: the winner is our poll was Captain Munnerlyn with 46%. Not even close. Darrius Heyward-Bey received just 7% in our poll but won the event with a speedy 4.30.
  • Heaviest Player at the weigh-ins: Have to be honest, this was a gimme, and we still got it wrong. Ray Feinga won the poll with 30% of the vote, but Hermann Johnson, getting just 20% of the vote was a guarantee to win. Despite losing 19 lbs in a month, he was still 27 lbs heavier (364) than his nearest competition which was BJ Raji at a 'bulky' 337.
  • Breakout Player of the Combine: To be honest, none of the players in the poll really 'broke out', but top vote-getters, Aaron Maybin (36%), Everette Brown (27%) and Brian Cushing (18%) di nothing to hurt their stock. Tied for third was Malcolm Jenkins who failed to impress scouts, and Max Unger (9%) who did not take advantage of the absence of Alex Mack. In my opinion, the 'break-out' players were: Aaron Curry, LB (proved he was worthy of a a top 3 pick); Connor Barwin, DE (put his name up there with the big ones) and Rich Eisen, Bench (scored a whopping 35 on the wonderlic!).
  • Now that Vernon Carey is locked up, who will be the next Dolphin FA re-signed? In what can only be explained by pure luck, or insider trading, 28% of you chose Channing Crowder, despite everyone in the world with any sources saying that Crowder would not be a Dolphin this year. I think the voting went the way of a popularity-vote, with Yeremiah Bell receiving 39% of the vote. I cannot explain the fact that Al Johnson received 21% of the vote since it was reported here, there, and elsewhere that his agent said he wasn't being re-signed. I chalk it up to fans disdain of Samson Satele.
For the record, the Ravens have broken off negotiations with Jason Brown and told him he doesn't fit into their plans next year. Jason Brown will either be a Dolphin or a Buffalo come one hour into free agency.

5 comments:

  1. I voted for Herman Johnson to be the heaviest. That was a no-brainer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just out of curiosity Bungle, is that a chimney sweep on the album cover? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe so, but he's definitely one scary clown. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that this morning too herdfan.s I thought no one was commenting for the last two days!s I have e-mailed for 'support' after trying to find the root of the problem myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herdfan, I live in California.s Not only would DirecTV take a month to come out to the house, they also have an exclusivity contract with my neighbourhood.s So it's not like I can complain about it.s Out here it takes a long time to get service for anything not because of the location but because of the population.
    s
    It also takes about a month to get to the front of the line at the post office, BTW.

    ReplyDelete