Friday, February 20, 2009

Take a Bottle drink it down Pass it Around

The biggest gossip(?) site in the business of professional football is frequently used by reporters as well as fans to keep up to date on goings on around the league. I admit I enjoy profootballtalk.com because they post links to stories within a few minutes of the story being reported by the original authors, thus you get up-to-the-minute updates on actual news in addition to the more fun stuff they can post because they're NOT technically a news organization. Just a guy with a blog and a lot of coffee and the occasional air time on TV. Still, they beat most everyone in the re-reporting game when it comes to football. So it was surprising to me that I actually mentioned the Devin Moore extra-curricular combine workout a good 20 hours before them. And it's the 2nd or 3rd time this week I've beaten the big boys to the punch. Don't worry, I'm not going to get full of myself here, quite the opposite.

I guess I just want to reiterate that even in Miami it can be hard to get accurate and timely information. The once respectable Palm Beach Post seems to have fallen by the wayside with their blog (which I thought used to be the most straightforward, honest and accurate one) now posting a lot of conjecture and mysteriously sourced information. I think I've figured out that WalterFootball.com's source for the Carey story must've been someone from that paper, possibly Brian Biggane, as they are the only ones who reported that the Dolphins wouldn't re-sign the right tackle. Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel reported not once but twice that the Dolphins wanted to keep Carey and would do their best to keep him. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald pretty much agreed with that sentiment. Only the PBP repeated their stance that Carey was leaving. But that's not the point. The point is that I had to read about it on WalterFootball.com weeks before the PBP actually published this story. Maybe they were waiting for a second source.

Well now I have WalterFootball.com, the Palm Beach Post and some speculation on my own part based on the Combine press conferences yesterday that the Dolphins are interviewing a few players and asking them how they feel about playing Right Tackle. So it seems clear that whether or not they re-sign Carey, they are planning for the possibility of having to draft a replacement around the second round of the draft (based on the players they interviewed).

So now we get to the point where we've got a little ACTUAL insight into what the Dolphins might do in the draft. This means they are not planning on having access to the top tier of Tackles in the draft thus are focusing on the second tier. So what are they focusing on in the first round? We'll find out today if it's a (shochk) wide receiver. Saturday we might find out it's a line backer or defensive lineman. PFT finally did a mock draft and puts us taking Everette Brown! Sunday we'll get the full picture when the defensive backs hold their conferences. And Tuesday being the final workout day, the Trifecta will be able to know if they've met with the right players and start putting together their Netflix Queue of film to watch.

And within a couple of weeks they'll deal with free agency. Once the dust settles a bit on that period, they will start piecing together their near final draft board. And then I will go to WalterFootball to get the scoop!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Tin. Keep the news flowing for us folks a long way from the action! :(
    s
    You could speculate all sorts of stuff for the first pick based on your blog update, but it fits with trading down in order to fill lots of holes with good players rather than tragetting marquee players in the draft - a policyswhich Sparano said he won't do in FA either (we'll see - randy would no doubt be seeing a smoke screen here!)
    s
    Good players coached well are better than superstars coached badly - ask Cowboy fans who had no play-off games to go to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind everything I said about Carey.s See new post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lifted the avatar off the same site as the laughing stock banner I sent that you posted ;)
    s
    I don't see us being aggressive either. The new candidate profile for being a Dolphin is bigger, stronger, faster + nowsyounger and cheaper.
    s
    I think we will bring in 2-4 FA targets who will be good value for money and next year's roster will see lots of rookies and even a few UFAs sprinkled in for good measure.
    s
    Sparano talked about a 2-3 year plan, but my gut feeling is that there will be another big overhaul of players this year as the roster is upgraded with more role players who fit the scheme and the big push comes in 2010, when thes09 rookies have a year under their belts and we have a third class of rookies to freshen up the roster. Then we truly will be younger, faster and hopefully stronger.
    s
    I suspectsthe teamstarget will be to scrape into the play-offs again this year, go deep the following year and ....... (I'm not going to say it because I don't want to jinx us).
    s
    If did go down the draft routesfor a centre and RT to start, Thomas comes back and starts (big if) and Jake stays at LT, we have a really young line with Smiley's experience thrown in to hold it together and it could be the beginnings of the next dynasty? We live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see Everette Brown falling to us but I'd be very happy if he did. I could see us looking at OLB and CB at #25 now. Maybe Center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be very happy with Everette Brown as well.s I would use him as a hybrid guy.s a 4-3 end, and both a SLB and WLB.s Wake would likely be a WLB, with the other guy...whats his name....being a SLB.s Add them to Roth, Porter, Ayodele, Torbor and maybe Crowder and another quality ILB and I'd be happy with our LB corp.
    s
    But Brown would likely be top 20...I project 14 thru 18.
    s
    Still, one can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "But Brown would likely be top 20...I project 14 thru 18.s
    ss
    Still, one can dream."
    s
    I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tin, do you have a top prospects list from that site that uses a scouting average like you mentioned awhile back?
    s
    I've seen a bunch of them but to try and average it out is a tall task.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I do.s Crabtree is number one. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tin, appreciate that.s :-P
    s
    Crabtree isn't #1 anymore.

    ReplyDelete